Back in October 2021, a natural gas explosion rocked the Edgewood, Maryland community, injuring one individual and destroying three homes. As unsettling as that October day was, it served as a catalyst for greater protection in a community left shattered less than a year ago. After New Cosmos USA, Inc. heard of the Edgewood incident and learned about the Baltimore area's past experiences with natural gas explosions - including a 2019 explosion that killed two people, injured seven, and destroyed three rowhomes - our New Cosmos USA team decided to do something to help this community.
On May 21st, 2022, the New Cosmos USA, Inc. team arrived on site for an in-person donation event where the Edgewood community received free DeNova Detect natural gas alarms to protect their families and homes. New Cosmos USA, Inc. was able to identify the fire department that responded to the explosion and partnered with the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company on community education and safety efforts. This culminated this spring when we teamed up to distribute $25,000 worth of our DeNova Detect natural gas alarms, free of charge to the community. While much of the community knew of the importance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, many were unaware that natural gas alarms were available as an additional layer of defense from catastrophe.
"We're grateful to have had the opportunity to serve the Edgewood community and donate dozens of lifesaving gas alarms in the wake of last year's explosion," said Julie Harris, Sr. Marketing and Communications Manager here at New Cosmos USA. "It was a wonderful experience connecting with the firefighters, local legislators, as well as every community member who stopped by to receive their alarms and learn more about protecting themselves from the dangers of natural gas leaks and explosions. Our hope is that the community remains safe, and learns the importance of natural gas safety and how they can protect themselves."
This product donation represents our mission to build stronger communities and protect people and property. Partnering with the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company was an absolute pleasure, and bringing the community even closer together was undeniably one of the highlights of our year. Our team is relieved to know that the members of the Edgewood community can rest more easily knowing that they’re protected, not only by our natural gas alarms, but also by the caring and courageous firefighters of the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company.